New Years Resolution
Yes, it is that time of year where traditionally many people devote themselves to starting the new year afresh with great enthusiasm!
Many devote themselves to a certain practice in order to change your behavior in some way that often fail in less than 21 days. New Years almost may sound, “too cliché” and even frowned upon as the success rate is extremely low. Historically speaking, the origin of this practice haven’t even started with a Christian background!
This has led many Christians to be skeptical observers. I’ve even heard people in Christian circle who condemn the practice of News Years resolution as it is not biblical!
The greatest pastor theologian in American Puritanism, stimulator of the religious revival known as the “Great Awakening,” Jonathan Edwards penned these words the year of 1722 a resolution that he devoted himself to the aim for godliness and the glory of God.
He said these words,
“Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God’s help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ’s sake.
Remember to read over these Resolutions once a week.”
Here are 5 out of 70 that reveals one’s heart devotion to Christ.
1. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.
2. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.
3. Resolved, to ask myself at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possibly in any respect have done better.
4. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.
5. Resolved, never henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God’s, agreeable to what is to be
We too can live in harmony such as Edwards did. This serious picture of living in purpose that is God driven glory.
So, what is your resolution? How would you lie differently from now on for the glory of God?