I have recently been working hard on memorizing Scripture. I believe this is a lost art in the modern churches.
So often, I realize the gap between, “What I know” and “What I do” seems like an infinite distance that I struggle in my own personal walk.
Yet, I think Scripture makes it evident that the only way to connect those are the two; (1) Repentance. (2) Memorization.
These two are what I believe the Psalmist says, “His delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.” (Ps 1:2).
Here are 10 verses I have been committed to memorize as I renew my thoughts in Christ.
1. I am a Child of God (John 1:12).
“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”
2. God Will Never Reject Me or Strip Me Away from Christ (Rom 8:1).
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”
3. God Deeply Loves me and That Is a Fact (Rom 8:37-39).
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
4. God Calls Me I am His Friend (John 15:15).
“No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”
5. God Will Never Change as He is Immutable (John 10:28-29).
“I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”
6. Despite My Imperfection, God Doesn’t Evaluate on My Performance (Rom 4:4-5).
“Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness.”
7. I am Affirmed by Him by God Sending His Son to Die for My Sin (Heb 13:6).
“So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
8. I Rest in the Approval of God and Not in My Own Good (Gal 1:10).
“For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
9. God’s High Appraisal is My Worth and His Love for Me (Isa 43:4).
“Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.”
10. I Draw Near to God when I am Rejected by Others (Heb 4:16).
“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
What are some Scripture verses you are currently memorizing?