J.I. Packer was a profound theologian that has forever impacted our generations of pastors and church leaders.
His life was devoted to helping the church to know God and be known by God.
I still remember reading his book “Knowing God” as a college student and remains one of my favorite books till this very day. Other than the Bible, no other book has made such an impact upon my life.
I am forever grateful and have been greatly influenced by this man and the church has tremendously benefited from him and his life. He was a true servant of the LORD Jesus Christ.
When he was asked what his final words for the church would be, he said the following;
“I think I can boil it down to four words: Glorify Christ every way.”
Indeed, a faithful servant has entered into the joy of his Master. Though I have not personally ever met him but will surely miss him here on this side of eternity.
Here are 15 quotes from J.I. Packer that has had tremendous influence upon my life.
“Every time we mention God, we become theologians. The only question is whether we are going to be good ones or bad ones.” – J.I. Packer
- “He who has learned to feel his sins and trust Christ as his Savior has learned the hardest and greatest lessons in Christianity.” – J.I. Packer
- “Adoption is the highest privilege of the gospel. TO be right with God the Judge is a great thing, but to be loved and cared for by God the Father is greater.”– J.I. Packer
- “There is tremendous relief in knowing that God’s love for me is utterly realistic – based at every point on prior knowledge of the worst of me – so that no discovery now can disillusion God the way I am so often disillusioned about myself.” – J.I. Packer
- “There’s a difference between knowing God and knowing about God. When you truly know God, you have energy to serve Him, boldness to share Him, and contentment in Him.”– J.I. Packer
“The fruit of wisdom is Christlikeness, peace, humility and love. And, the root of it is faith in Christ as the manifested wisdom of God.” – J.I. Packer
- “Revelation does not mean man finding God, but God finding man. God sharing His secrets with us, God showing us Himself. In revelation, God is the agent as well as the object.” – J.I. Packer
- “Sanctification has a double aspect. Its positive side is vivification, the growing and maturing of the new man; its negative side is mortification, the weakening and killing of the old man.” – J.I. Packer
- “The grace of God is love freely shown toward guilty sinners, contrary to their merit and indeed in defiance of their demerit.” – J.I. Packer
“Once you become aware that the main business that you are here for is to know God, most of life’s problems fall into place of their own accord.” – J.I. Packer
- “There is no peace like the peace of those whose minds are possessed with full assurance that they have known God, and God has known them, and that this relationship guarantees God’s favor to them in life, through death and on forever.” – J.I. Packer
- “He that has learned to feel his sins, and to trust Christ as a Savior, has learned the two hardest and greatest lesson in Christianity.” – J.I. Packer
“The Christian’s motto should not be ‘Let go and let God’ but ‘Trust God and get going!’.” – J.I. Packer
- “A little knowledge of God is worth more than a great deal of knowledge about him.” – J.I. Packer
- “On our feet we may have arguments, but on our knees, we have all agreed.” – J.I. Packer
What other question would you add here?