I recently received a gift from a dear friend of mine the Spurgeon Study Bible in the mail and have been going through it for devotional and I have been richly blessed by it.
I am grateful for the prince of preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon who changed the trajectory of history through his bold preaching and who forever changed the trajectory of my life through his faithful writing. I have even considered at one point to study PhD in Historical Theology with dissertation on Spurgeon.
I know, probably the immediate thought is, “Aren’t you worshipping Spurgeon rather than God’s Word?”
Yes, I am truly thankful for God’s Word and that is the source I turn to for daily help in my personal quiet time. However, there are certain Christians who have lived in the past because of their commitment to Christ and love for the Lord that compels me to follow Jesus with all cost. One of them is Charles Hadden Spurgeon.
For those who haven’t read stories of Christians from the past, I encourage you to read and turn to materials that will cause you thirst for more and hunger for Jesus like those who have gone before us as a cloud of witness (Heb. 12:1).
Here are 20 quotes from Spurgeon that has changed my life.
1. “The Bible is like a lion. You don’t have to defend it. You just have to let it loose.” – Charles Spurgeon
2. “No matter what good truths you have to teach, no one will thank you if you do not speak kindly.” – Charles Spurgeon
3. “Fighting sheep are strange animals, and fighting Christians are self-evident contradictions.” – Charles Spurgeon
4. “My theology is found in four little words. Jesus died for me” – Charles Spurgeon
5. “Just because a church is large doesn’t mean it’s healthy. It could be swollen.” – Charles Spurgeon
6. When asked, “What is more important: Prayer or Reading the Bible?” I ask, “What is more important: Breathing in or Breathing out?” – Charles Spurgeon
7. “The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains, proves that he has no brains of his own.” – Charles Spurgeon
8. “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.” – Charles Spurgeon
9. “There is so much dirty linen in our own house needing to be washed that none of us need to take in our neighbor’s washing.” – Charles Spurgeon
10. “True friends put enough trust in you to tell you openly of your faults.” – Charles Spurgeon
11. “We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble and write our blessings in sand.” Charles Spurgeon
12. “I do not think the devil cares how many churches you build, if only you have lukewarm preachers and people in them.” — Charles Spurgeon
13. “There is no university for a Christian, like that of sorrow and trial.” – Charles Spurgeon
14. “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone that isn’t.” – Charles Spurgeon
15. “Do not go where it is all fine music, grand talk and beautiful architecture. Go where the gospel is preached. And go often.” – Charles Spurgeon
16. “The existence of hypocrites does not prove the non-existence of true believers.” – Charles Spurgeon
17. “The greatest enemy to human souls is the self-righteous spirit which makes men look to themselves for salvation.” – Charles Spurgeon
18. “Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.” – Charles Spurgeon
19. “Dash yourself with gasoline, strike a match, set yourself on fire, and people will come watch you burn” – Charles Spurgeon
20. “The heart of the gospel is redemption, and the essence of redemption is the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ.” ― Charles Spurgeon
What other quotes would you add to the list?