In this episode of the Ordinary Radicals podcast, Jonathan Hayashi and Brandon Boatner speak on the hot topic politics.
Can a gospel-loving Christian still care about politics at the same time? If a Christian is more on one side either to the right or left, still be a faithful Christian?
Some highlights from today’s episode;
- Politics can be a divisive issue. Being under multiple pastors and reading much social media proves it.
- Politics can be extremely stigmatizing as it’s way and completely divisive! Jesus is not about that.
- I love children; therefore, I hate abortion.
- We are not saying the church is a Republican church.
We have to stand for the sanctity of life, marriage, the preciousness of life and religious liberty.
- Politics is the battle of the gods. It is either the capital “G” God or the lower case “g” god as people always have a personal agenda.
- The political lingual of the American experiment: the language of (1) freedom, (2) equality, (3) rights.
It is not that Christians have nothing to say about Washington D.C. or Rome. But politics should not be the ultimate issue that focuses on the message.
- The fullness of the gospel. We can be made right with God and have a relationship with one another.
- Gospel centrality means not a social message, not a political message, not a moral message, nor a therapeutic message. But it is the message of sin, death, and forgiveness.
Politics is important, but let it not obscure our message or pervert the message. Let us remember why we exist as the people of God.
- Ultimately comes down to identity. People know me for my identity as a Christian and ought to be the very top of the notice. I don’t think that’s true for many of us though.
Here’s the breakdown outline from today’s conversation;
Introduction: The Political Tension for Christian in Democrat vs. Republican Debate.
- “Trump is the devil”
- “If you love Jesus, you cannot vote for a democrat”
- Unfortunately, within the Christian circle, believers cannot talk about politics.
- The origin of the left vs. the right (Democrat vs Republican).
1. Relevancy: The Willful Ignorance Against Politics
- Jesus speaking on the current events on the issue of relevance.
- Pastors often choose willful ignorance to avoid the topic of politics.
- Politics has become a difficult topic to converse about in the Christian circle.
- “What renders to Ceaser is Ceasers” (Matt 22:15-22).
- The western interpretation that is out of context: God vs. Government?
- The black and white issues (Example: Pro-Life matters).
2. Jesus as King: Which Kingdom You Live By?
- Tony Evan’s comment on political stance as Christians.
- “Jesus did not come to take sides, but to take over” – Tony Evans
- We are to be kingdom people first and then political people the second.
- The divine kingdom: The Gospel allegiance as kingdom citizenship
- The battles of gods: The capital “G” God vs. the lower case “g” god.
- The American experience (Example: teenage child’s issue of gender identity).
- “Who’s the greatest?” The dispute amongst disciples (Luke 9:46-48).
- The confusion: (1) the role of the church, (2) the role of the government.
- Who can change the heart of man? (Prov 19:21).
3. The Gospel Above All: Even Political Opinion
- The gospel unites us all. The gospel needs to be the most important issue!
- Jesus selects Matthew the tax collector and Simo the Zealot (Matt 11:1-19)
- “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.” (Luke 10:2).
- United for the gospel: “The faith that was once delivered to all the saints” (Jude 1:3).
- “The Gospel: the first and foremost” (1 Tim 2:1-15).
- The unity of the church is far more important than the uniformity of our politics
- Amid political discard, church leadership is to put the mission first.
- People ought to be known for their love for one another first (1 John 2:1).
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
- How the Nation Rage: Rethinking faith and politics in an age of divided age by Jonathan Leeman
- The church plant, “Remix: Better Together”
- The Briefing: by Albert Mohler
- How Christians Should Approach Politics Video Clip
- National News on the issue of Christian School expelling student LGBTQ agenda
- The Gospel Above All by J.D. Greear
- The Majesty’s Men
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at jonathanhayashi.com.
Thanks for listening! If you have found this podcast helpful, go to iTunes and leave a rating & review! That is one simple way you can help me get this in the ears of as many people as possible. Thanks for the help!
Ordinary Radicals Podcast is a member of the HNR.GD Network