In this episode of the Ordinary Radicals podcast, Jonathan Hayashi and Brandon Boatner speak on the topic of the waiting game.
Do you ever wonder why God makes us wait on certain things? Whether good or bad? Why does God do that?
Here are five points we lay out as we converse on waiting on the LORD.
Some highlights from today’s episode;
- There’s the saying that goes like this, “Good things are worth waiting for.”
- Sometimes we pray, “God I want PATIENCE RIGHT NOW!”
- Praying a lot of time is actually waiting.
A lot of bad things happen not because we step out with faith but step out with fear.
- It is easy to become angry-bitter-cynical Christian, but you can have confident joy in Christ by having a deepening relationship with Him!
We want to be omniscient (all knowing), omnipotent (all powerful) and omnipresent (everywhere). The reality is that, we are not! Only God is and we are utterly dependent on Him.
- “Need is not language for the creatures, not worthy of the Creator” – A.W. Tozer
• Young pastor overestimate what they can accomplish in 1 year and underestimate what God can accomplish in 15 years of His ministry.
Discipleship is not just information. It’s definitely part of it, but most of it is imitation.
- We cannot expect people to emulate something that we ourselves are not emulating.
- Information without application leads to frustration. Information with application leads to true transformation.
A thankful heart is always better at waiting on the LORD.
Here’s the breakdown outline from today’s conversation;
1. To learn how to trust Him.
– Hannah’s solemn promise unto God with a child “Samuel” (1 Sam 1:11-28).
– Abraham: The Man of Faith (Gen 12:1-3).
– “How can I be sure? Would He fulfil His promise? (Gen 15:2-3).
– The Birth of Isaac (Gen 21:1-6).
– Abraham’s Tested by Offering Isaac (Gen 22:1-19).
– “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?” (Jer 17:9).
2. To deep our relationship with God.
– “Be anxious without anything. But in everything with prayer and supplication….” (Phil 4:6-7).
– “Cast your anxiety unto the LORD because He cares for you.” (1 Pet 5:7).
– “Drew near to God and He will draw near to you.” (Jam 4:8).
– Waiting in the church planting season with Brandon.
– “To live is Christ and to die gain” (Phil 1:21).
– “Rejoice in the Lord. Again, I say to you, rejoice!” (Phil 4:4).
3. To shape your character.
– The great lesson in humility through the waiting game.
– The story of going through with NAMB of church planting residency program.
– “Clothe yourself with humility. Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God” (1 Pet 5:5-6).
– “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receive the prize? So, run that you may obtain it.” (1 Cor 9:24).
4. To grow in your wisdom and knowledge.
– Young people say, “Why go to Bible college and seminary? All you need is Jesus and DON’T WAIT!”
– “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished.” (Acts 4:13).
– Internal calling & external calling: Waiting is the process in following God’s leading.
– “Follow me as I follow Christ.” (1 Cor 11:1).
5. To create at heart of gratitude.
– “Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles.” (1 Pet 2:11).
– The already-not-yet complex that believers are living in.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
- Remix Church: Better Together
- North American Mission Board
- Discerning Your Call to Ministry: How to Know For Sure and What to Do About it
- The Majesty’s Men
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at jonathanhayashi.com.
Thanks for listening! If you have found this podcast helpful, go to iTunes and leave a rating & review! That is one simple way you can help me get this in the ears of as many people as possible. Thanks for the help!
Ordinary Radicals Podcast is a member of the HNR.GD Network