In this episode of the Ordinary Radicals podcast, Jonathan Hayashi and Brandon Boatner speak on the topic of the struggles of reaching the next generations.
Why is the current generation having difficulty reaching the young generation? Why is there a gap between the boomer generation vs. millennials? Why is there a gap between Gen X and Gen Z’s?
Is your church or ministry struggling to reach the next generation? This episode is for you.
Some highlights from today’s episode.
• Next Gen thinks differently from before them. Such as church attendance and membership.
• Attractional model (consumeristic) cool church doesn’t work. They won’t stick.
• Huge turn-off for the younger generation: “We want your presence, but not your opinion!”
• Authenticity is apologetic of our culture.
• How can we show how Jesus is greater than everything? We can’t if they don’t come.
• Why not reach the next generation? They are not at the church. We need to get them there.
• Immature Christians are hard to please and easy to offend.
• Obedience is not legalism. Holiness is not legalism.
• Every church member is expected to attend, give and serve.
Here’s the breakdown outline from today’s conversation.
1. Next Generation Are UNLIKE the Current Generation
– They do not want to affiliate with any religion. They are called the “nones”
– Gen X’s are more like Israel. Gen Z’s are like Babylon.
– The idea becomes us vs. them. Younger people feel like they don’t fit in.
– The gap is seen in cultural values.
2. Myth to Reach Younger Generation.
– Attempt to change the worship style.
– Attempt to change them into a building project.
– Attempt to change by getting a young hip pastor.
– What makes the Next Gen stick in the churches?
– Barna Research Study: The solution is authenticity with our next generation.
3. Discipleship through the means of relational bridges.
– Local church: life with the church.
– Why should you gather? (1) Biblical (2) Beneficial (3) Baptistic.
– “We should draw near with a true heart….” (Heb 10:22-24)
– Younger generation does not believe they need to draw near as Jesus is greater than everything!
– “They devoted to one another….” (Acts 2:42)
– Koinonia: the idea is we have done together as a church that your joy is my joy now.
4. Next-Gen (Younger People) are LESS Committal! What Should We Do?
– What do we do with people who are church members of 3 different churches?
– FAT Disciples: (1) Faithful (2) Available (3) Teachable
– “Search me O God and know my heart” (Ps 139:23-24).
– “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few” (Luke 10:2).
– The pastors or church leaders need to be courageous to call out people (Matt 18).
– “holiness and righteousness….” (Eph 4:24).
If you have a question, you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at jonathanhayashi.com.
Thanks for listening! If you have found this podcast helpful, go to iTunes and leave a rating & review! That is one simple way you can help me get this in the ears of as many people as possible. Thanks for the help!
Ordinary Radicals Podcast is a member of the HNR.GD Network