Over the past several weeks via podcast and conferences, God has convicted me of the reality and the importance of sharing the good news of the gospel with our community.
The passage such as, “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures.” In 1 Corinthians 15:3 hits me to the core. I mean, this is the gospel!
Knowing the truth of the fact, people that you walk across, just a block away from your church will die of eternity separated from God doesn’t seem right. You begin to question, “Shouldn’t we do something about it?”
Those who are wrestling with that question, here are 20 important quotes about evangelism to motivate our churches to be more evangelistic.
1. “Evangelism has always been the heartbeat for our ministry; it is what God has called us to do.”
– Billy Graham
2. “One thing I have observed in all my years of ministry is that the most effective and important aspects of evangelism usually take place on an individual, personal level. Most people do not come to Christ as an immediate response to a sermon they hear in a crowded setting. They come to Christ because of the influence of an individual.” – John MacArthur
3. “Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.” – Charles Spurgeon
4. “When a man is filled with the Word of God you cannot keep him still. If a man has got the Word, he must speak or die.” – D. L. Moody
5. “God forbid that I should travel with anybody a quarter of an hour without speaking of Christ to them.” – George Whitefield
6. “Our witness – good or bad – is the overflow of our lives.” – Alistair Begg
7. “If he have faith, the believer cannot be restrained. He betrays himself. He breaks out. He confuses and teaches this gospel to the people at the risk of life itself.” – Martin Luther
8. “How few know how to deal with an ignorant, worldly man, for his conversion! To get within him and win upon him; to suit our speech to his condition and temper; to choose the meetest subjects, and follow them with a holy mixture of seriousness, and terror, and love, and meekness, and evangelical allurements – oh! who is fit for such a thing?” – Richard Baxter
9. “To be a soul winner is the happiest thing in this world.” – Charles Spurgeon
10. “If you had the cure to cancer wouldn’t you usher it?… You have the cure to death… get out there and share it.” – Kirk Cameron
11. “The mission of the Church is to seek and to save them that are lost.” – James H. Aughey
12. “At our very doors is the work we crave. The heathen are literally all around us. I have already had the pleasure of going with my sister on some of her visits to the native women. Much tact is necessary in dealing with these as the aversion to foreigners is still very strong. Some will not admit us at all; others listen coldly and with evident restraint; only a few hear the word gladly. Nevertheless, we must ‘sow beside all waters.’ We know that God’s word can not ‘return void.'” – Lottie Moon
13. “Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell; I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell.” – C. T. Studd
14. “Run to and fro everywhere, holy fires, beautiful fires; for you are the light of the world, nor are you put under a bushel. He whom you cleave unto is exalted and has exalted you. Run to and fro and be known unto all nations.” – Augustine
15. “We plan for so many less important things; why not plan for our evangelism?” – Mark Dever
16. [Nature teaches us that every believer should be a soul-winner]. It is an essential part of the new nature. We see it in every child who loves to tell of his happiness and to bring others to share his joys. – Andrew Murray
17. “To call a man evangelical who is not evangelistic is an utter contradiction.” – G. Campbell Morgan
18. “Any method of evangelism will work if God is in it.” – Leonard Ravenhill
19. “If you alter or obscure the Biblical portrait of God in order to attract converts, you don’t get converts to God, you get converts to an illusion. This is not evangelism, but deception.” – John Piper
20. “It is the duty of every Christian to be Christ to his neighbor.” – Martin Luther
What other quote would you add to this list?