Here’s my list of 25 of my favorite Christian discipleship quotes.
We all are called disciples to make disciples are’t we? Especially because we know within our hearts the leadership capacity as disciples will directly effect those serving in the church under us.
If you know a great quote or scripture that will inspire others to lead their churches better, please feel free to share it in the comments below.
1. “Discipleship is the process of becoming who Jesus would be if he were you.”―Dallas Willard
2. “What I heard was that you can have the one without the other – that you can be saved and not be a disciple. I smelled a theological rat in that claim.”― Scot McKnight, King Jesus Gospel
3. “Discipleship is not an option. Jesus says that if anyone would come after me, he must follow me.”―Tim Keller
4. “When the church becomes an end in itself, it ends. When Sunday school, as great as it is, becomes an end in itself, it ends. When small groups ministry becomes an end in itself, it ends. When the worship service becomes an end in itself, it ends. What we need is for discipleship to become the goal, and then the process never ends. The process is fluid. It is moving. It is active. It is a living thing. It must continue to go on. Every disciple must make disciples.”― Robby Gallaty, Growing Up: How to Be a Disciple Who Makes Disciples
5. “Fortunately, God made all varieties of people with a wide variety of interests and abilities. He has called people of every race and color who have been hurt by life in every manner imaginable. Even the scars of past abuse and injury can be the means of bringing healing to another. What wonderful opportunities to make disciples!”― Charles R. Swindoll
6. “The Christian life is the discipled life and the discipling life.”― Mark Dever
7. “The one indispensable requirement for producing godly, mature Christians is godly, mature Christians.”― Kevin DeYoung
8. “Thriving churches have the Great Commission as the centerpiece of their vision, while dying churches have forgotten the clear command of Christ.”― Thom S. Rainer, Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 12 Ways to Keep Yours Alive
9. “Most people in America, when they are exposed to the Christian faith, are not being transformed. They take one step into the door, and the journey ends. They are not being allowed, encouraged, or equipped to love or to think like Christ. Yet in many ways a focus on spiritual formation fits what a new generation is really seeking. Transformation is a process, a journey, not a one-time decision.”― David Kinnaman, unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity… and Why It Matters
10. “A Christian understanding of the world sees a child’s character not as genetically determined but as shaped to a significant degree by parental discipleship and discipline.”― Russell D. Moore, Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
11. “The greatest gift a church can receive is to have a group of families who take their responsibilities with such Christian seriousness that they are willing to completely alter their lifestyle to raise up disciples for Jesus Christ.”― Abraham Kuyper
12. “The follower aspires with all his strength to be what he admires. And then, remarkably enough, even though he lives amongst a ‘Christian people,’ he incurs the same peril as he did when it was dangerous to openly confess Christ. And because of the follower’s life, it will become evident who the admirers are, for the admirers will become agitated with him. Even these words will disturb many – but then they must likewise belong to the admirers.”― Søren Kierkegaard
13. “The speaker says one of the blessings of the family of God is that the enthusiasm of children influences their elders while experience seasons the younger members.”― Matt Chandler
14. “To be a disciple is to be committed to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and committed to following Him every day. To be a disciple is also to be disciplined in our bodies, minds, and souls.”― Billy Graham
15. “Making disciples of Jesus is the overflow of the delight in being disciples of Jesus.”― David Platt, Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live.
16. “Christian discipleship is a decision to walk in his ways, steadily and firmly, and then finding that the way integrates all our interests, passions, and gifts, our human needs and eternal aspirations. It is the way of life we were created for.”― Eugene H. Peterson
17. “The church is not a theological classroom. It is a conversion, confession, repentance, reconciliation, forgiveness and sanctification center, where flawed people place their faith in Christ, gather to know and love him better, and learn to love others as he designed.” ― Paul David Tripp
18. “Discipling our children is not about teaching them to behave in a way that won’t embarrass us. We’re working toward something much more important than that. We’re actually raising our children with a view toward leading them to trust and to follow Christ.”― Voddie T. Baucham Jr., Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
19. “Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
20. “Church attendance is as vital to a disciple as a transfusion of rich, healthy blood to a sick man.” ― Dwight L. Moody
21. “Discipleship isn’t a program or an event; it’s a way of life. It’s not for a limited time, but for our whole life. Discipleship isn’t for beginners alone; it’s for all believers for every day of their life. Discipleship isn’t just one of the things the church does; it is what the church does.” ―Bill Hull, The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ
22. “Only a disciple can make a disciple.”― A. W. Tozer
23. “Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self…” –C.S. Lewis
24. “Discipleship entails a life of total self-denial, a humble disposition towards others, a whole-hearted devotion to the Lord alone, a willingness to obey His commands in everything, an eagerness to sense Him even in His absence, and a motivation that comes from knowing He is well pleased.” – John McArthur
25. “We reduce discipleship to a canned program, and so many in the church end up sidelined in a spectator mentality that delegates disciple making to pastors and professionals, ministers and missionaries.”― Francis Chan, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
5 thoughts on “25 Greatest Christian Discipleship Quotes ”
Praise the Lord Jesus .Wonderful quotes given .Thank you
Thank you for those encouraging words @ranivarkey! May we continue on making disciples of all nations.
I just wrote this: “True messengers of the living Jesus demonstrate the reality of His presence. They don’t just delineate doctrines about Him.”